Consolidated Infantry Regiment of the 6th Texas Infantry and 15th Texas Cavalry Battle Flag
The 6th Texas Infantry, as well as the “dismounted” 15th Texas Cavalry, were both assigned to the 5000-man garrison at Fort Hindman in Arkansas Post to defend the fort. In January 1863, in what is known as the Battle of Arkansas Post, a 30,000-strong Union force, equipped with ironclad gunboats and some 40 cannons, attacked the fort and forced the badly outnumbered Confederate defenders to surrender as the walls of the fort were turned to rubble from the heavy artillery fire. Aside from the very few that were able to escape, the entire garrison was captured. Three months later, most of the men were paroled on a prisoner exchange, including the 6th Texas Infantry and 15th Texas Cavalry. After their return, the much-reduced 6th and 15th were consolidated into one regiment known as the 6th Texas Infantry and 15th Texas Cavalry and combined with six other units to comprise what became known as “Granbury’s Brigade” commanded by Brigadier General Hiram Granbury and assigned to Major General Patrick Cleburne’s division in the Army of Tennessee. Granbury’s Brigade soon distinguished itself as one of the hardest fighting regiments in the Army of Tennesee’s best division. Cleburne’s Division was responsible for saving the Army of Tennessee during their retreat from Chattanooga and fought Sherman’s Army to a standstill on multiple occasions during the Atlanta Campaign. In the fall of 1864, and after Atlanta, the regiment was assigned a new battle flag to replace their old tattered one. The new flag was a standard “Hardee” pattern battle flag which was commonly used by regiments in the Army of Tennesee. A red, canted/tilted, or “walking” star was added within the white disc in the center of the flag, and the letters TEXAS were cross-stitched in a circle around the star with one letter between each of the five spaces between the points of the star. The “walking” star was preferred by Texans during that era. The consolidated infantry regiment fought in several major western theatre battles such as Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Ringgold Gap, Atlanta, Franklin, and Nashville, and after the battles of Arerasborough and Bentonville, what was left of the 6th and 15th Texas finally surrendered in North Carolina on April 26th, 1865 along with General Joseph Johnston’s Army, there were fewer than 50 men still fit for duty who were commanded by a lieutenant, as all of the other officers of higher rank had been killed, captured or wounded.
The original flag did survive the war and is now in the possession of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission thanks to Mark Kelton, originally of the 6th Texas Infantry. Rather than surrender the beloved flag to Union troops, he removed the flag from its staff and wrapped it around his body under his clothing, and brought it safely home to Texas where he kept it in his possession until 1885 when he donated it to the Texas State Archives where it remains today.
This is a reproduction of the 6th Texas Infantry and 15th Texas Cavalry battle flag and has a vintage/aged finish. The actual dimensions and materials are not exactly the same as the original flag. The artwork is visible on both sides. The lettering reads right on one side only.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Lightweight, 100-denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- Bright colors
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Reinforced header with brass grommets
- Flag size: 3′ x 5′