Terry’s 8th Texas Cavalry 3×5 Flag – Printed

$6.95

In stock

Free USA shipping on all orders over $49

  • 14 day easy returns
Seriously Secure Checkout

Secure Checkout

Terry’s Texas Rangers 8th Texas Cavalry 3×5 Battle Flag

History of the 8th Texas Cavalry
Better known as Terry’s Texas Rangers, the 8th Texas Cavalry was organized in August of 1861 by Colonel Benjamin Franklin Terry, recruiting 1170 men from the Texas counties of Houston, Richmond, Columbus, Gonzales, Wharton, and Bastrop. The regiment was mustered into the Confederate Army on September 9th, 1861. Its 1st commanding officer was Colonel Benjamin Franklin Terry who was killed in action during their 1st engagement on December 8th, 1861 at the battle of Woodsonville, Kentucky. The regiment kept the “Terry’s Texas Rangers” designation throughout the remainder of the Civil War in memory of Colonel Terry. Terry’s Texas Rangers quickly distinguished itself as one of the most effective fighting cavalry units in the Civil War on either side and participated in approximately 275 battles and skirmishes across seven states, including Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Perryville, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, and the four months long Atlanta campaign. The 8th Texas carried at least three (possibly more) battle flags during their four years of service in the Confederate Army. This particular flag was presented on September 20th, 1864 only to be lost in action less than a month later, presumably during one of the many skirmishes against General William T. Sherman’s army as part of the effort to halt “Sheman’s march to the sea”. The flag was modeled after the “Hardee” battle flag used by many Confederate units in the Western theatre. The bright red St. George’s Cross with nine gold stars resembles the Polk battle flag. The 8th Texas participated in the last significant cavalry action against Union troops at Bentonville, South Carolina on March 21st, 1865 where it, along with the 4th Tennessee cavalry engaged in a rearguard charge while defending Joseph Johnston’s remaining army as it withdrew from the field after being defeated by Sherman at the Battle of Bentonville. Just before General Johnston surrendered the Army of Tennessee at Durham Station, North Carolina on April 26th, 1865, 158 of the surviving 248 members of the regiment managed to slip through Union lines and joined other Confederate forces still in the field. After the complete collapse of the Confederacy, most of the remaining men of the 8th Texas Cavalry simply made their way back home having never officially surrendered. There were more cavalry soldiers from Texas than any other state and they were well known for their equestrian skill and bravery. The 8th Texas Cavalry certainly made a significant contribution to this reputation.

This is a reproduction of the Hardee-style battle flag carried by the 8th Texas Cavalry.  The actual dimensions and materials are not exactly the same as the original flag. The original is two-sided with the Latin phrase “Ducit Amor Patriae” which means “The love of Country leads me” curved above the red Saint George’s Cross on the obverse, while “God Defend the Right” appears on the reverse side. “Terry’s Texas Rangers” is curved underneath the red Saint George’s Cross on both sides. This flag includes the obverse side with the Latin phrase only. The artwork is visible on both sides. The lettering is readable on one side only.

  • One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
  • Lightweight, 100-denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
  • Bright colors
  • 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
  • Reinforced header with brass grommets
  • Flag size: 3′ x 5′

Additional information

Weight 5.5 oz