General Lee’s Headquarters Flag
This flag was used by General Robert E. Lee to designate the location of his headquarters between June, 1962 (about the time he took command of the Army on Northern Virginia) and the summer of 1863. It is believed to have been designed and hand made by his wife Mary Anna Curtis Lee and their daughters. Fashioned after the 1st National flag of the Confederacy, the unusual star pattern, is believed to represent the shape of the Arch of the Covenant, which is consistent with the Lees’ deeply held Christian faith. Sometime after the Gettysburg campaign, Lee decided to retire the flag and replace it with the 2nd National flag. The retired flag was packed with other CSA government records and sent to Charlotte, NC, where the package was stored in an office below the U.S. Mint building. Just prior to the surrender of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston in North Carolina, some Confederate officials opened the box containing the flag while looking for important documents. The flag was discovered and, before delivering the records to Union officials, it was appropriated by Capt. John F. Mayer and taken to his home. The actual size of General Lee HQ flag is 52”x78” and is currently housed in the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Virginia.
Single ply polyester is a very light weight material that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Heavy canvas header with brass grommets
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Flag size 3’x5′