Dimmitt’s Goliad Flag
Made of 2-ply polyester, which is the most durable and best option for those who fly their flag 24/7. This flag features a red, appliqued bloody arm and sword that is beautifully outlined with heavy embroidery on a solid white background and is visible on both sides of the flag.
- Heavy-duty 600 denier fabric
- Appliqued and embroidered artwork
- Heavy canvas header with three brass grommets
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Flag size: 3′ x 5′
History of Dimmitt’s Bloody Arm flag
Dimmitt’s Goliad Flag was designed by Goliad garrison commander, Captain Phillip Dimmitt. Both the Dimmitt flag design, as well as the Brown’s Flag of Independence which pre-dated the Dimmitt flag, were inspired by the bloody arm and dagger or sword imagery that dates back as far as prehistoric – medieval Ireland. This brutal, war-like imagery was incorporated into various European (mainly Irish) Family crests and coats of arms. The defiant, militant design dramatically reflected the shifting political atmosphere of Texians away from support of independent statehood of Texas in the Federalist Republic of Mexico and return to the Constitution of 1824, to support complete separation from Mexico, establishing a sovereign Texas Republic. Before returning from the Battle of Bexar to Goliad in mid-Dec 1835, Captain Dimmitt was a staunch Mexican Federalist and opposed separation. The 1824 Mexican tri-color which is also thought to be of Dimmitt’s design, symbolized this sentiment, while the bloody arm design was a complete departure from the previously held, more moderate position. Dimmitt’s bloody arm flag was reported to have been raised on Dec 20, 1835, upon the signing of the Goliad Declaration of Independence as the official flag of the occasion, although the banners of Capt. William S. Brown and Capt. William Scott were both present at Goliad at the time. The flag that was actually flown at Goliad is the subject of controversy among historians. According to the memoirs of John James and Nicholas Fagan, who were present at Goliad with Capt. Dimmitt, the flag was made personally by Captain Dimmitt himself and was made of white domestic silk, six feet in length and three feet in width. In the center was a sinewy arm and hand, painted red, and holding a drawn sword, which was also painted red. The flagpole was made from a tall sycamore that was harvested from the woods along the banks of the San Antonio River. The flagstaff was in the yard of the quadrangle opposite the entrance to the officers’ quarters. Dimmitt’s flag flew over the ramparts of Goliad until Jan 10, 1836, when Dr. James Grant and the Federalist Volunteers of Texas forced its removal. This caused Dimmitt and those loyal to him to leave the garrison. It is believed that they took the flag with them. It is unknown whether Dimmitt’s idea to use the bloody arm symbol was acquired on his own, or if he was inspired by the Brown’s Independence flag which used similar symbolism.