General Meade’s Army of the Potomac HQ Guidon – 1864
In May of 1864, Major General George Meade, commanding general of the Army of the Potomac designated this guidon-style flag as the headquarters flag of the Army of the Potomac. The flag consisted of a swallowtail guidon shape with no stripes, but a solid red background and a gold eagle perched in the center of a silver wreath. Previously, a standard US flag was used as the HQ flag. The bright red guidon, however, was more distinctive.
This is a reproduction of the Army of the Potomac Headquarters flag. The actual dimensions are not exactly the same as the original flag.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Lightweight, 100 denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- Bright colors
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Reinforced header with brass grommets
- Flag size: 3′ x 5′