Eighth Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment ANV Style Square Battle Flag
The 8th Virginia Infantry Regiment was organized in Leesburg, Virginia on May 8th, 1861. The regiment was comprised of six companies from Loudoun, Fauquier, Fairfax, and Prince William counties. The newly raised 8th Virginia’s first assignment was to guard the Potomac River crossings in Loudoun County. The regiment fought in the First Battle of Bull Run on July 21st, 1861 where they distinguished themselves as an effective fighting unit. Then upon returning to Leesburg, they were engaged in the Battle of Ball’s Bluff in October of 1861. In March of 1862, the 8th was assigned to Pickett’s Brigade and ordered to participate in the Peninsula Campaign which lasted until July 1st, fighting in the battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Gaines Mill, and then Malvern Hill where they earned the nickname “Bloody 8th” because of the way the regiment’s colonel referred to his men, stating that he felt they would go against any odds seemingly without counting the cost. In September of 1862, shortly after the Battles of Second Bull Run and Ox Hill, the 8th Virginia returned to Leesburg, before being sent on their way to fight in the Maryland Campaign from September 4th – 20th 1862, including the Battle of Antietam in Sharpsburg Maryland on September 17th which was the bloodiest one-day battle in American history. After withdrawing back into Virginia, the regiment participated in the Battle of Fredericksburg from December 11th – the 15th 1862. The next year, they took part in the disastrous “Pickett’s Charge” on the final day at Gettysburg, July 1st – 3rd 1863 where they suffered an 87% casualty rate. Only one officer and eleven enlisted men remained uninjured after the charge. Their battle flag along with seven other Confederate battle flags were captured during that event. (In 1905 the flag was returned to the state of Virginia and is now in the custody of the Museum of the Confederacy). During Lee’s withdrawal back into Virginia, the Bloody 8th took part in the Battle of Boonsboro on July 8th, 1863, in Washington County, Maryland. They remained with the Army of Northern Virginia (although in substantially decreased numbers) throughout the remainder of the war. During what was known as General Grant’s Overland Campaign, The 8th Virginia fought in the Battle of Cold Harbor from May 31st – June 12th, 1864 with most of the fighting on June 3rd. The Richmond-Petersburg Campaign saw the 8th fight at the Battle of Five Forks on April 1st, 1865, and finally, during the Appomattox Campaign, they fought their final battle at Sailor’s Creek on April 6th, 1865 where the majority of what remained of the regiment was killed or surrendered. One officer and eleven privates were able to escape but were paroled three days later following Robert E. Lee’s surrender at Appomattox Courthouse on April 9th, 1865.
This is a reproduction of the 8th Virginia Infantry Regiment Battle Flag. It featured a vintage, antique finish and is designed to look as the original flag appears today. Not as it would have appeared during the Civil War. The actual dimensions and materials are not exactly the same as the original flag. The artwork is visible on both sides. The lettering reads correctly on both sides of the flag.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Lightweight, 100-denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- Bright colors
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Reinforced header with brass grommets
- Flag size: 4′ x 4′