Hood’s Brigade 5th Texas Infantry 3×5 Battle Flag
History of the “Lone Star” version of the 5th Texas Infantry battle flag
The 5th Texas was one of three Texas Regiments (the 1st, 4th, and 5th) that mainly made up the famed “Hood’s Brigade” that was formed in Richmond in 1861 and named after General John Bell Hood. This flag was made for the 5th Texas Infantry regiment in Richmond Virginia directly after the unit was assembled from 10 companies of men who had traveled 2000 miles east from Texas to join the conflict. The design was based upon the National flag of the Confederacy, but with a single, “lone star” in the blue field to represent Texas instead of a circle of stars. The star was canted or tilted forward rather than the traditional orientation with the star pointed straight up and referred to as a walking star. In the summer of 1862, the 5th Texas was instrumental in defending Richmond in a series of battles known as the Peninsula Campaign or Seven Days Battle. The flag was badly damaged in the heavy fighting and was put into storage in Richmond, however, the fighting men of the 5th had become deeply attached to the flag and requested to have the flag returned to them. When permission was refused, several officers simply broke into the warehouse, stole the flag, and returned it to the men who fought so bravely under it. The 5th Texas Infantry gained the nickname “Bloody Fifth” at the second battle of Manassas in August of 1862 when it completely destroyed two New York Regiments and continued to drive fresh Union troops into retreat. Several color-bearers were killed carrying the flag during the engagement. This heroic action made the regiment a favorite of General Hood. A month later, the 5th Texas suffered heavy casualties (almost 50%) at Antietam while fighting in the “corn field”. Shortly after the battle, the flag was sent back to Austin to be displayed at the State Capitol. After the war, the flag was given to a veteran of the 5th Texas. By 1910, possession was passed to a veteran’s organization named Hood’s Texas Brigade Association. By 1920, the flag was in the custody of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
This is a reproduction of the Lone Star battle flag of the “Bloody Fifth” Texas Infantry. The actual size and materials are not exactly the same as the original flag. The artwork is visible on both sides.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Lightweight, 100-denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- Bright colors
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Reinforced header with brass grommets
- Flag size: 3′ x 5′