3rd Texas Cavalry Regiment Battle Flag
The 3rd Texas Cavalry also known as South Kansas-Texas Mounted Volunteers was assembled in Dallas, Texas, and mustered into the Confederate army on June 13th, 1861 by Colonel Elkanah Greer. The unit consisted of 1094 men from Kaufman, Dallas, Cass, Cherokee, Hunt, Harrison, Marion, Rusk, St. Augustine, Smith, Upshur, and Wood counties. Several of the men were members of the “Knights of the Golden Circle” which was a secret society that favored and promoted the idea of the southern states seceding from the Union well before the beginning of the civil war. The “Third Texas” became the first regiment of Texas volunteers to serve outside the state. They were assigned to Indian Territory as part of McCulloch’s Brigade. They were also the first Texas regiment to fight in a major combat operation, the Battle of Wilson’s Creek in southwestern Missouri where Confederate forces defeated Union troops thus gaining control of southwestern Missouri for the Confederacy. About half of the companies participated in the battle of Chustenahlah against pro-union Creek tribesmen on the day after Christmas 1861. The regiment suffered a 50% casualty rate at the Battle of Iuka, Mississippi on September 19th, 1862. The 3rd Texas later played an important part in defending Vicksburg and Jackson Mississippi. In December 1863, General Lawrence Sullivan Ross who had previously been a Texas Ranger and would later go on to be the 19th Governor of Texas became commander of the Texas Cavalry Brigade, which subsequently became known as “Ross’s Brigade.” Under Ross’s command, the Texas Cavalry Brigade distinguished itself, fighting almost daily in Georgia and sustaining heavy losses during the siege of Atlanta. The flag was lost to Union troops at the Battle of Lovejoy’s Station on August 20th, 1864. Lovejoy’s Station. was part of the almost four-month-long Atlanta campaign. The regiment then fought in battles at Franklin and Nashville towards the end of 1864 and then spent the remainder of the war, fighting in Mississippi where about half the men were furloughed while a few deserted. When The 3rd Texas Cavalry surrendered to Union forces at Citronelle, Alabama in May of 1865, there were only 207 men left.
The original flag was produced by James A. Cameron and Jackson Ogden Belknap in Mobile, Alabama, and was presented to the 3rd Texas in November of 1863. The names of many of the major battles in which the 3rd Cavalry distinguished itself were inscribed onto the flag. The flag was returned to the state of Texas in 1905.
This is a reproduction of the 3rd Texas Cavalry Regiment flag. The actual dimensions are not exactly the same as the original flag. The artwork is visible on both sides of the flag. The lettering reads right on one side only.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Lightweight, 100-denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- Bright colors
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Reinforced header with brass grommets
- Flag size: 3′ x 5′