38th Alabama Regiment Battle Flag
Battle flags with the crossed cannon replacing the center star were made in Mobile, Alabama by James A. Cameron and Jackson Ogden Belknap. They were issued to various regiments within the “Department of Alabama Mississippi and East Louisiana”. One of these flags was issued to the 38th Alabama Infantry Regiment after the Battle of Rocky Face Ridge which occurred on February 25, 1864, and is the last “battle honor” listed on the flag. The 38th Alabama flag was captured at the Battle of Resaca, Georgia on May 15, 1864, by Company D, 27th Indiana Volunteers, and was forwarded to the United States War Department. The flag was eventually returned to the State of Alabama on March 25, 1905. The original flag is now in the custodianship of the Alabama Department of Archives and History (ADAH) and is one of four nearly identical flags in the ADAH’s collection including the 18th, 36th, 38th, and 58th Alabama Infantry Regiments. All four of these regiments along with their respective flags were engaged at the battle of Resaca, Georgia under the command of Brigadier General H.D. Clayton.
This is a reproduction of the 38th Alabama Infantry Regiment flag. The actual dimensions are not exactly the same as the original flag. The artwork is visible on both sides of the flag. The lettering reads right on one side only.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Lightweight, 100 denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- Bright colors
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Reinforced header with brass grommets
- Flag size: 3′ x 5′