2nd Texas Infantry Regiment 3×5 Guidon Flag


In stock

Free USA shipping on all orders over $49

  • 14 day easy returns
Seriously Secure Checkout

Secure Checkout

Second Texas Infantry Guidon-Shaped Swallowtail Battle Flag

The 2nd Texas Infantry consisted of ten companies totaling about 1300 men from the Houston, Galveston, and the lower Brazos River area. They were brought together as a regiment under Colonel John Creed Moore. The ranks of the regiment were filled with “proud, young volunteers imbued with a spirit of adventure and eager to serve.” The sons of former Texas presidents Sam Houston and Dr. Anson Jones were among the men of the 2nd Texas. The regiment was mustered into Confederate service in September 1861 as the First Texas Infantry. However, Louis T. Wigfall, former U.S. senator and then Confederate senator from Texas, objected to the designation claiming that the Texans who had traveled to Richmond, Virginia, were entitled to the honor of being first. Due to Wigfall’s political influence, the CSA War Department agreed that the Texans in Virginia should be designated as the 1st Texas Infantry. Moore’s regiment thus became the 2nd Texas Infantry. Although there is no surviving example of a flag matching this description, there is an original Kurz and Allison lithograph that was done in 1891 depicting the Battle of Corinth. It shows the 2nd Texas Infantry attacking a Union position. One of the flags that is shown resembles a Texas state flag with a blue canton and a 2-point swallowtail with the red bar on top rather than the white. The Star is surrounded by a laurel wreath on a white circle with “SECOND” curved above the star and “TEXAS” curved under. Modern-day artist Keith Rocco has also created a depiction of the Battle of Corinth showing the same flag.

The regiment was originally formed to defend the Texas Gulf Coast, but in March of 1862, Colonel Moore received orders to move his regiment to Corinth, Mississippi, where General Albert Sidney Johnston was preparing for an attack on the Union army camped at Pittsburg Landing on the Tennessee River. So the 2nd Texas departed from Houston on March 18th. They traveled by rail to Beaumont, then by steamboat to Wiess’ Bluff, and marched overland to Alexandria, Louisiana. From there they traveled by steamboat again via the Red and Mississippi Rivers to Memphis, then marched to Corinth, arriving on April 1st. Preparations for the twenty-mile march to Pittsburg Landing were made as Johnston was completing his concentration of troops for the attack on Grant’s army on the Tennessee River. However, supplies of the 2nd Texas Infantry were virtually exhausted after the long journey from Houston. The Confederate commissary at Corinth could only provide Moore’s men with enough rations for two and a half days. After resting for one day, the regiment moved with Johnston’s army on April 3 as it headed toward Pittsburg Landing. The march took three days rather than two as had been expected and several of the men of the 2nd Texas had eaten their rations while others were barefoot because they had worn out their shoes on the trip from Texas. Even worse, the Texans were wearing blue uniforms that had been issued to them in Texas, so white cotton uniforms were issued to them at Corinth that did not fit many of the men. The battle that then took place there at Pittsburg Landing on April 6-7, 1862 was known as the Battle of Shiloh. The 2nd Texas was in some of the most intense fighting. The rifle and musket fire was so severe that the soldiers who fought there referred to the area as the “Hornet’s Nest.” The fighting went on until late afternoon, when Union forces in that area finally surrendered to the 2nd Texas. As Union troops fell back toward the Tennessee River, the pursuing Confederate forces, as well as the 2nd Texas Infantry came under heavy artillery fire from Union gunboats. The Confederate forces had driven the enemy back several miles after the first day of fighting, but the cost was very high. General Albert Sidney Johnston, the highest-ranking field officer in the Confederate army was killed while rallying troops on the right flank, and hundreds of Confederates were killed or wounded. The 2nd Texas Infantry sustained more than one hundred casualties that day. The 2nd Texas went on to fight at the Second Battle of Corinth, Hatchie’s Bridge, Snyder’s Bluff, and the Siege of Vicksburg. After the fall of Vicksburg on July 4th, 1863 the men of the 2nd Texas were paroled on a prisoner exchange and they made their way home as best they could in late July and early August. For most of the men, it was the first time they had been home in more than a year. The regiment, now reduced to a little over 200 men, was reassigned to help defend the Texas coast against the anticipated Union invasion. First at Velasco near the mouth of the Brazos and then to Fort Caney at the mouth of the Caney River. The regiment remained at Fort Caney during the winter of 1863-1864. In the spring of 1864, the 2nd Texas joined other Texas units on Galveston Island. They stayed on the island for the last months of the war until the final surrender of the Trans-Mississippi Department by General Kirby Smith on June 2nd.

This is a reproduction of what one of the 2nd Texas Infantry battle flags might have looked like based on the art by Kurz and Allison produced in 1891. The artwork is visible on both sides. The lettering reads right on one side only.

  • One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
  • Lightweight, 100-denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
  • Bright colors
  • 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
  • Reinforced header with brass grommets
  • Flag size: 3′ x 5′

Additional information

Weight 5 oz