Gregg’s South Carolina Infantry Flag
History of the 1st South Carolina Infantry Regiment Flag
The 1st South Carolina Infantry flag was carried by the 1st South Carolina from 1861 – 1863 and passed through the possession of multiple color-bearers throughout its time of service. During the charge at Gaines’ Mill alone, four bearers were shot down carrying or attempting to raise the flag. It was present at the battles of Seven Days, Second Manassas, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg. After Gettysburg, it was sent back to Columbia to be displayed at the South Carolina State House. Today it remains in Columbia on display at the South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum. The original flag is 2-sided with a Palmetto tree encircled by a wreath and a crescent in the upper hoist end corner, all set against a blue background, while the opposite side shows the unit designation “1st Regt S.C. Volunteers” (this design shows the Palmetto, wreath, and crescent side only). Before the blue regimental flag was returned to Columbia, the 1st South Carolina carried a regular Army of Northern Virginia (ANV) flag in addition to the blue regimental flag. After the regimental flag was returned, the ANV flag remained in service as the regiment’s battle flag.
This is a reproduction of the 1st South Carolina Infantry Regiment flag and represents the side depicting the Palmetto, wreath, and crescent only. The actual dimensions and material are not exactly the same as the original flag.
Made of 100-denier printed polyester which is a very lightweight material with artwork that is visible on both sides of the flag.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Lightweight, 100-denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- Bright colors
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Reinforced header with brass grommets
- Flag size: 3′ x 5′