First National Style Ceremonial Flag
The eleven-star version of the 1st National Confederate flag became official in July of 1861 when 2 stars were added to the design recognizing North Carolina and Tennessee as members of the Confederacy after their secession dates of May 20th and June 8th respectively. This particular design that includes the phrase “Defend Our Homes” is believed to have been made in Rockingham County North Carolina during the summer of 1861. The flag was intended to be used as a ceremonial flag and was not likely ever carried into battle. The exact location and use of the flag during the war are undocumented, but after the war, it was passed to Andrew J. Boyd, a Rockingham County businessman and attorney who enlisted in the CSA Army as a lieutenant in June of 1861, rising up through the ranks becoming a lieutenant colonel by the end of the war. The flag was displayed at a Confederate soldier reunion in 1897 as evidenced by a Reidsville Review article published September 3rd, 1897 describing the event and the flag bearing the motto “Defend Our Homes” displayed during the event. The flag was passed down through LTC Boyd’s family over the years and eventually donated to Rockingham County Historical Collections in 1980. Restoration of the flag was completed in 2007 by the Rockingham Community College Foundation and is now housed in the Historical Collections Room of the Gerald B. James Library.
This is a reproduction of the 11-Star 1st National Confederate flag described above and has a vintage/aged finish intended to resemble the flag as it is today. Not as it would have appeared in 1861. The actual dimensions are not exactly the same as the original flag. The artwork is visible on both sides of the flag. The lettering reads right on one side only.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Lightweight, 100-denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- Bright colors
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Reinforced header with brass grommets
- Flag size: 3′ x 5