Hardee-Style Battle Flag of the Seventeenth Tennessee Infantry
The 17th Tennessee Infantry Regiment was organized on June 11th, 1861. It was composed of nine companies totaling 914 men. They initially mustered into service in the Provisional Army of the state of Tennessee at Camp Trousdale, then mustered into the service of the Confederate Army on August 15th, 1861, at Big Creek, Campbell County, Tennessee. On October 21st, 1861, the regiment participated in its first engagement at Rock Castle, Kentucky, and then at Fishing Creek, Kentucky on January 20th, 1862 where the regiment was highly commended for its valor and discipline. It fought at Perryville on October 8th, 1862, then joined the Army of Tennessee and fought at Murfreesboro December 31st, 1862, – January 2nd, 1863, Hoover’s Gap June 24th, 1863, and Chickamauga September 18th – 20th, 1863. The 17th lost almost half of its men at Murfreesboro and suffered nearly 50 percent casualties at Chickamauga. On November 23rd, 1863 the regiment was consolidated with the 23rd Tennessee Infantry forming one regiment and becoming part of the Army of Northern Virginia, and assigned to Lieutenant General James Longstreet’s Corps on his expedition into East Tennessee to recapture Knoxville as Union troops had control of that city. After this expedition failed, Longstreet’s Corps was forced to spend a severe winter in East Tennessee because conditions prevented them from withdrawing back into Virginia until the following spring. In Virginia, the regiment was placed on the Richmond-Petersburg Line, and on May 15th, saw action at Drewry’s Bluff. Then again, they fought in the trenches at the Seige of Petersburg, including the Battle of Hatcher’s Run on February 5, 1865. On April 2, 1865, still in the defenses around Petersburg, the 17th Tennessee fought its last battle. It was surrendered along with the rest of Lee’s army at Appomattox Courthouse on April 9th, 1865 with 5 officers and 63 men left fit for duty.
This is a reproduction of the 17th Tennessee Infantry Regiment battle flag. It is designed to look like the flag would have appeared before the “Perryville” and “Murfreesboro” battle honors were added to the flag. The actual dimensions and materials are not exactly the same as the original flag. The artwork is visible on both sides of the flag. The lettering reads right on one side only.
- One solid piece of printed, hemmed fabric
- Lightweight, 100-denier polyester that will fly nicely in the slightest breeze.
- Bright colors
- 4 rows of stitching on the fly end to prevent premature fraying
- Reinforced header with brass grommets
- Flag size: 3′ x 5′